Thursday, January 20, 2011

Those Bourgeois Gays....

I know what you're thinking. I'm not a Marxist or a Communist. I've just had it with the Bourgeois gays. I recently received an e-mail about an event my football league was having for the Superbowl. From the subject in my inbox, it read "ARE YOU READY FOR THE BIG GAME?" So I'm thinking it's just some casual Superbowl party. Wrong! There are tickets ranging from $40-$65. There's a freaking Host Committee and event co-chairs. There's a silent auction where you can bid on Coach bags and Lucky Brand Jeans gift cards.

Here are my questions/issues with this. What if you're not rolling in cash? In this economy, some people (me included) can't afford to spend (and shouldn't spend) $65 on a VIP ticket and then for a silent auction where they can win a Coach bag. Who the hell needs a Coach bag? I mean, they're nice. It's obviously a status symbol. But does owning one mean you've "made it?" If you don't have one, have you failed? Is this a way for the bourgeois gays to feel exclusive?

I'm certainly not begrudging people who have wealth. If you can afford a nice pair of jeans, buy a nice pair of jeans. When I have money, I go shopping. But I go to Gap and H&M, not Diesel. I think I can look nice wearing Levi's. They make my ass look great. But even if I had a job where I had some disposable income, I don't know if I would buy things that are more expensive. I'd probably get more manicures and pedicures, but those aren't so expensive. Maybe I'd go to Starbucks more often. But maybe I'd give money to charitable organizations.

Do bourgeois gays make these events with tickets and cover charges to exclude those who are without? I'm not sure. I'd certainly hope not. That would kind of perpetuate the negative stereotypes of gay people. Could I date a bourgeois gay? If he was down-to-earth and not a snob.

I know it sounds like I'm bitter because I'm  not part of the exclusive club. But why does there need to be one in the first place? I'm not proposing that all gays of different socio-economic statuses hold hands and sing Kum-Bye-Yah, but rather, remember what it was like to not have money.  Maybe then they'd be a little less bourgeoisie and more...inclusive. That's the dream, anyway. Call me Joseph. That's a Biblical/Broadway reference. Look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment