Monday, January 10, 2011

Back from the Big Apple

So I recently returned from New York. I had a fantastic time there. I was hoping to have my traveling companion with me, but alas, she was befallen by something pretty nasty. Therefore, I did my trip solo. I was wondering how I was going to amuse myself for three days, but I managed to stay entertained.

I went out every night, and every night I ended up in the West Village. My favorite bar in that area is the historic Stonewall Inn, site of the Stonewall Riots of 1969. Now I've heard that the modern-day bar is not in the original area, but after speaking with one of the owners last night, I learned this is simply not true. Good thing I was set straight, as it were.

It's easy to make comparisons between Philly and New York. For example, New York's mass transit system is the most expansive in the U.S. While it may be daunting at first, it's actually quite enjoyable once you know where you're going. There's a sense of comfort when I'm on the Subway that I don't have here. The stations are cleaner, bigger, brighter. I feel safer on New York's subways than I do on Philly's. Maybe it's due to the increased presence of the NYPD.

Speaking of the NYPD, I have to tip my cap to them. Now I only speak from experience, but I think  New York's police are friendlier (and better-looking) than Philly's police. I had a quick chat with a very handsome and friendly policeman at one of the subway stops, which is something I don't think would happen in Philly, unless I was a hot girl. I find the NYPD to be more professional.

I also think it's easier to kill time in New York, due to its size and just abundance of opportunities. While I enjoy going to Center City and South Street, I had no problems wasting several hours while in Manhattan. Times Square is absolutely insane, and the rest of the borough is walkable and there are tons of shops just to browse.

Now, does this mean I'll be moving to New York? I'm not sure. It all depends on job opportunities. If I get a good job offer in Philly, I'll stay here. If I get one in New York, I'll go there. But I can make it work here. Plus, if I moved, how would I be able to watch NBC 10's John Clark or CBS 3's Chris May? I shudder at the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment